Mary,

This is a Microsoft Works 4.0 database file.

There are commercial tools that claim to be able to convert them to
Excel:
http://www.rl-software.com/converter/wks-wdb-to-excel.htm
I have no experience with this tool or company.

If you just need the text and you don't want to spend any money, you
might try using a program called "strings". There is a Windows version
here:
http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Strings.html

Strings is a command-line utility that reads a binary file and displays
any embedded text contained in the file.
It's likely that the Works database has the actual data as simple text.
Strings won't display the structure or headings, but it might show you
the text.

Cheers,
Mark