For the archives:

Finally found a solution going through the Acrobat Windows user to user
forum. It eventuated that I was definitely not alone, and that there is
the same or similar thing happening with some Acro Pro 8 installations
(which all shut down within 10 seconds without warning).

Anyway, to close the loop, here is the link to the article which
contained my fix (solutions 2 and 4 seemed to do the trick):

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/331958.html>

--
John Pitt, technical writer
john at pitt.net.au