I generally have to agree with what is written below, but I have to take a
minor exception on (a) regarding 'the line that you can do it with DITA or
DocBook'. Out of the box does a good job, but unfortunately the 'good job' is
at scaring people away. That being said, I'll have a freebie of a pretty good
DITA lite template with documentation and more for the world at large in a week
or so. I'm literally waiting on a few scripts, a test and some docs and then
it's ready. Sure I've needed some updates to the software and I'm pushing Frame
in directions it doesn't normally like to go, but in the end I'll have
something that works in 7.2 and does 99% in 7.1 as well.

It's going to be distributed via my website and updates will continue to be
rolled out. It does use some inexpensive third party software and is a subset,
but it's pretty solid.

The exception I have is that you need to consider what you are willing to adapt
in your content as well. Just because it has 'always been written that way'
doesn't mean you have to stick with it. Sometimes it's worth sacrificing or
changing things to save time/money on your deliverable. If you can manage to
use a DITA standard then you are in luck later when changes are needed or third
party tools have to be invoked.

I'm off to a client site, but I'll post more info on the DITA lite template set
soon.

I'll happily offer to provide an online venue where I can show it in use if
people are interested. Email off list if you would like to have me present a
'how to use the template' session in a live online video presentation. If so
I'll email you more info and, if there seems to be enough interest (say over 20
emails to me) I'll send a quick note to the list.

Bernard

Bernard Aschwanden
Publishing Technologies Expert
Publishing Smarter