Hello,

You are thinking in the right direction.
Put a graphic frame on the reference page (name it), in there a text
frame and create in the text frame a table.
Call the graphic frame via the frame below paragraph function on the
advanced tab of the paragraph designer as you saying below.

Greetings,

Belinda

.-=======================================x=x=x==========================
===============-.

You wrote:
Is there a way to automatically create a table when you apply a
specific paragraph format?  One of my paragraph formats is a heading
that introduces a table.  I'd like the table to display automatically
when I finish creating the table's heading.  I was hoping to place the
table on a reference page and call it via the Frame Below Paragraph
function on the Advanced tab of the Paragraph Designer, but it won't
let me put a table on the reference page.

What's the Best Practice for this purpose?

Thanks!

--Doug