I'm not sure I see why it matters, Anne. A broken feature is
a broken feature, no matter how you access it and try to control
it. As Stuart points out, you can follow Jon's carefully designed
series of 17 steps and still have autonumbering that can be broken
by a simple editing operation. It's a broken feature and if I need
to use numbering I use a method that works first time, every
time. The SEQ code is how Word did numbering before it added
new codes for preformatted section autonumbering and *long*
before they tried to make the application so bloody "smart" that
it would automatically apply autonumbering when you do nothing
more explicit than type a digit or a dash as the first character of a
paragraph. The feature has never worked right since they tried
to make it too smart by half.

My opinions only; I don;t speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ