Further update ... If you are access data from a "server",
make sure that the server likewise is amply endowed with
memory and high speed disk. Furthermore, if you don't have
it already, gigabit Ethernet can make a tremendous difference
in this application (even over 100BaseT 100 megabit Ethernet)!

        - Dov