Do you want to make separate PDF files for each document in the book? I 
would assume that for the references to work, all the PDFs would have to be 
in the same directory. Otherwise, links would break.

If you don't need separate PDF files, deselect "Save Book as...  Separate 
File for each document" and then generate the entire Book as a PDF.


David Schor
(no longer working at Emblaze-VCON)
davelis at

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Carol Wade" <>
To: <framers at>
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:42 PM
Subject: Printing Chapters to Separate files;Was: Links not working in Adobe

I have identified the problem I was having with links not working among
separate PDFs. The problem resulted from generating the PDFs from a
FrameMaker book file. I must not understand the Print dialog box option
"Save Book as...  Separate File for each document." Although this does
create separate PDFs, the links all reference the filename entered in
the box "Print to File." Obviously then the links are then broken.

Can anyone explain to me what I am misunderstanding or tell me how to
make this work?


From: Carol Wade
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 11:30 AM
To: 'framers at'
Subject: RE: Links not working in Adobe

I should clarify that the crossreferences referred to in my earlier
email have nothing to do with index entries.




From: Carol Wade
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 10:26 AM
To: 'framers at'
Subject: Links not working in Adobe

I have created separate FrameMaker documents that cross-reference each
other. At a point, the links were working in the generated PDFs (Named
Destinations and Generate Actobat Data are selected). Now, none of them
work. (I have now added crossreferences to the master pages, but don't
think this has anything to do with the problem.)

It seems that I must be doing something wrong that should be obvious,
such as not selecting Named Destinations and Generate Actobat Data, but
I don't know what else to look for.

I converted a document to MIF, and it appears that at least one path is
incorrect, if that is what is meat by "<XRefSrcFile
`<c\>'>," because the absoulte path whould be
c:\CustomerDocs\NewUserDocumentation. This is also wrong for a relative
path, if "<c\>" resolves to "c:\."

I'm using FrameMaker 7.0 and Acrobat Distiller 7.0.7.

Thanks for any suggestions!


This message, as well as any attached document, contains information from 
Health Language, Inc. that is confidential.  The information is intended 
only for the use of the addressee named above.  If you are not the intended 
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, 
distribution or the taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this 
message or its attachments is strictly prohibited, and may be unlawful.  If 
you have received this message in error, please delete all electronic copies 
of this message and its attachments, if any, destroy any hard copies you may 
have created, without disclosing the contents, and notify the sender 
immediately.  Unless expressly stated otherwise, nothing contained in this 
message should be construed as a digital or electronic signature, nor is it 
intended to reflect an intention to make an agreement by electronic means.

You are currently subscribed to Framers as davelis at

Send list messages to framers at

To unsubscribe send a blank email to
framers-unsubscribe at
or visit

Send administrative questions to listadmin at Visit for more resources and info.

Reply via email to