We use Windows XP operating system, Frame 7.2 (some of us may still be on
7.0), and Acrobat 7.0.

We organize our folders to have a main folder for the manual.  That folder
contains 2 sub-folders (fm_source and docs).  fm_source contains all the
Framemaker files that make up the book.  In addition to the book and
generated files, each Framemaker file is a chapter in the book.

We have set up x-refs so that it is not a problem cross-referencing from
one chapter to another within the book.  My question, is, how do we set up
cross-references so that we can cross-reference to a file (in our case, a
chapter) in another book (which is embedded within a different folder and
sub-folder).  When we tried to do this using the same method for setting
up x-refs within the book, it worked in FrameMaker, but it did not work
once we created our  PDFs.

For example, we created a x-ref from Chapter 1 in Book A to Chapter 2 in
Book B.  We created a PDF of Book A and a PDF of Book B.  When we click
the link in Book A, it says it cannot find the file, and it gives the
whole path of where it is looking for Book B.

Do you know what we are doing wrong? Or, how we should be doing this?

Thank you,
Janice Cadel
Janice Cadel
Principal Technical Writer/Editor