Look at the file named "custom" typically located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.2\fminit. To edit that file you want to make a backup, change the name, do the edit, then change the name back (at least that's what I was told, and I haven't tested to see if you need all those steps). It is not the only place that FrameMaker looks for font info, but it appears to be one of the more important to consider.
There are also font substitution specifications in the file "maker.ini" typically located at C:\Program Files\Adobe\FrameMaker7.2. One of those may be involved. Steve Cavanaugh Sr. Technical Writer NAT Seattle Inc. -----Original Message----- From: framers-bounces+scavanaugh=nat-seattle....@lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces+scavanaugh=nat-seattle.com at lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Lin Surasky Sent: Monday, October 23, 2006 4:25 PM To: Framers (E-mail) Subject: Unavailable Fonts Message - Cross-Platform Issue? Okay, folks.... What am I missing here?? I primarily work on Windows XP. However, last week I had occasion to work temporarily on a Mac. The Mac was not set up with all the same fonts we use in our template, and that wasn't an issue since we weren't doing any output from the Mac. The Remember Missing Fonts checkbox in Preferences is checked, so that when I migrated the files back to my regular Windows machine, everything should have been hunky-dory. And it was, except for one lone file.... On one file out of about a dozen, I am getting the "unavailable fonts" message when I open it on my Windows machine because the file is looking to use the Garamond font that the Mac machine subsituted in the absence of the usual Windows font. I didn't make any edits to this file, but I did save it on the Mac. So the logical next step is to locate the instances of the Garamond font in the file and remove the formatting override which removes the use of the Garamond font, right? Right. Except.... In a few cases, the Garamond font remains and will not go away no matter what I do to the text. These cases are in table cells. I don't know if that makes a difference; it shouldn't, but you just never know. Also, if you click or select a word in the table, the formatting appears normal, and the correct font family is displayed in the formatting bar. However, if you select (triple-click) the entire paragraph, the font family changes to Adobe Garamond, which I have installed on my machine, but do not use in the template. This is the font that gets substituted for the "missing" Garamond font, which is what the Mac machine used when it couldn't find the Schoolbook font from the Windows machine..... I have tried using the "wash" feature in Mif2Go to see if that helps. The first time I open the file after "washing" it, the error does not appear. However, once I save (on Windows) and close the file, the error returns when the file is reopened. I saved the file as MIF to see where the Garamond font is being used, but that still doesn't explain why it's being used and why I can't get rid of it. Has anyone seen this before, and if so, what causes it and how do I fix it? I feel compelled to add that I worked in a cross-platform environment for several years and have NEVER had this type of problem before, despite all the warnings against using the evil Mac from those who don't know but think they do... Thanks for any light you can shed on this! I know it has to be something simple. -Lin _______________________________________________ You are currently subscribed to Framers as scavanaugh at nat-seattle.com. Send list messages to framers at lists.frameusers.com. To unsubscribe send a blank email to framers-unsubscribe at lists.frameusers.com or visit http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/scavanaugh%40nat-sea ttle.com Send administrative questions to listadmin at frameusers.com. Visit http://www.frameusers.com/ for more resources and info.