I am not quite sure what your situation is but:

Regenerating a book with the setting to generate automatic TOC,
generates an unstructured TOC. You can choose to take the information
from the elements or the paragraph tags, but you will NOT get a
structured FM document.

The formatting has to be started in the reference pages (but I guess
you already know that). You will ned to do the layout work once, or
you can import the layout from some other FM document.

If you have special elements for TOC, and want to use them, you will
have to place links manually, unless you have some script doing that
for you.

So to your first question: No, except that you can refer to elements
instead of paragraph tags.

Best regards,

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson