Do you have the "Save graphics as Frame Image" option turned on? If
so, that may explain how the file functioned without the graphics
files, but that only answers a few of your questions.

Assuming you have a high resolution pdf, you should be able to extract
and recover the missing files...

Art

--
Art Campbell                                             art.campbell at
gmail.com