Hi David...

Neither of those are possible with "default" Frame. We do have a plugin,
MarkerTools, that lets you use variables within markers ..

    http://www.leximation.com/tools/info/markertools.php

That's an interesting idea of changing the path for references based on
a variable's value .. I'll add that to the list of plugins to develop.  :)

The only way I can think of to do this without a plugin (or
FrameScript), would be to source the files as XML or MIF, and have some
process outside of Frame that manages these values.

Good luck!

...scott

Scott Prentice
Leximation, Inc.