Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:36:33 +0100
From: "Yves Barbion" <yves.barb...@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: anticipating a move to Structrued Frame
To: framers at frameusers.com, dita-users at yahoogroups.com

This is how I've done it:

  1. Learn topic-based authoring, for example by taking some classes in
  structured writing or Information Mapping (IMAP).
  2. Design Frame templates that support topic-based authoring.
  3. Learn XML, at least XML for authors (not XML for developers).
  4. Learn DITA and download and install the DITA Application Pack for
  FrameMaker 7.2.
  5. Write a "paradigm shift guide" (which is what I'm doing now):
  you'll have to start thinking in terms of elements and attributes, not
  styles (or paragraph tags). The idea of my paradigm shift guide is to list
  and describe all the "components" (paragraph tags, variables, condition
  tags, table tags etc.) in my unstructured FrameMaker template and relate
  them to their respective DITA counterparts (if possible). For example, my
  template has the styles "cellheading" and "cellbody" for text in tables. In
  DITA, you just have the element <stentry> for this purpose. The formatting
  (style) of the element <stentry> depends on its position: in body cells, it
  will use the style "table.cell.body"; in heading cells, it will use "
  table.cell.head.left". Another example: my unstructured template has
  the character tag "control", which I used in software manuals to refer to
  text of "user controls", such as menu commands, dialog box titles, button
  names etc. And, lo and behold, DITA has the element <uicontrol> for this
  purpose. So I changed the name of the character tag "control" to "uicontrol"
  in my unstructured Frame template. People who use my unstructured Frame
  template are already familiar with "uicontrol" and they immediately
  understand the meaning and usage of the DITA <uicontrol> element.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good luck

--
Yves Barbion