Answering Rene:
I would be surprised if the general thinking of the companies in most
industries determines whether or not a company has a competent tech pubs
department. Telecom may be an exception.

Answering Chris:
Your experience is apparently quite different than mine.  I agree with Bill.  I
have worked in several industries, including CAD/CAM/EDA, video systems, wired
and wireless networking, medical technology, CRM, SAN/NAS, and a few others
over many, many years in tech pubs, including managing pubs for ten years.
During all that time, I have _never_ seen a company who knew what they were
doing wait until after the design process is complete to get the tech writer
involved.  Concept and preliminary markteting investigation, sure, but when the
MRD went to the Engineering/Development team, it also went to pubs and support.
 And that included several startups as well as big companies.

Smart marketing and engineering VPs know that the docs are an integral part of
the product and that most customers cannot use the product without them.  The
sooner the writers get involved, the better the docs will be, and sometimes the
product too.  Depending on their experience, many writers are asked for their
imput on product design and usability.

General comment:
If the company you work for treats docs and/or pubs as an afterthought and your
efforts to change that thinking have failed, you might want to consider taking
your valuable skills and worthwhile talents elsewhere.

Diane