Websites> Subject: RE: First on market (was RE: radical revamping of techpubs)>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 14:25:54 -0500> From: Jim.Pinkham at voith.com> To:
tekwrytr at hotmail.com; john at hedtke.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com> >
What about the business strategy of Sony? Admittedly, I see some loyalists, but
I see many consumers who are inclined to wait for the price to inevitably come
down when a new Sony product hits the market -- or who head for alternatives
that don't involve annoyingly proprietary formats such as the Memory Stick.> >
-----Original Message-----> From: framers-bounces+jim.pinkham=voith.com at
lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces+jim.pinkham=voith.com at
lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Technical Writer> Sent: Friday, October 19,
2007 12:03 PM> To: john at hedtke.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Subject: RE: First on market (was RE: radical revamping of techpubs)> > > >
Many, especially in business, would argue the opposite; the first mover
advantage is huge. Case in point, the business strategy of Sony. > > The
philosophy of "lifers"--build a widget, establish a broad base of loyal,
satisfied customers, grow the organization organically is about as obsolete as
"Live long and prosper." Ask any small business owner in a location adjacent to
Wal-Mart about customer loyalty and branding. Or ask anyone who worked in the
Oldsmobile division of GM.> > > > Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2007 09:30:49 -0700> To:
gflato at nanometrics.com; > > tekwrytr at hotmail.com; framers at
lists.frameusers.com> From: > > john at hedtke.com> Subject: First on market
(was RE: radical revamping > > of techpubs)> > Despite the incredible pressure
that people feel to be > > the first on > the market with the latest release, I
think history > > shows that it is > almost NEVER the first product to market
that has > > long-term success, > at least in high-tech. The IBM PC was not the
> > first to market by a > number of years. Microsoft hasn't ever gotten > >
there first with > anything that comes to mind. VisiCalc. WordStar. > >
Doc-to-Help was, > I think, on the market before Robohelp, yet they > > got
outmarketed > ultimately. VHS vs. Beta: Beta was, and is, a better > > overall
format > but VHS outmarketed Beta and >poof< no more Beta. And > > so on. It >
could be argued that what tends to work is the products > > that watched > what
the first product did and then didn't make the > > same mistakes or > at least
capitalized on marketing. There are > > exceptions to > this--Visio comes to
mind--where something is so truly > > innovative as > to be unique, but these
are rare and stellar examples. > > For the most > part, the first product to
cross the finish line is > > guaranteed to > ~not~ survive the test of time.> >
Even on a > > short-term basis, pushing a product out the door to meet an > > >
arbitrary schedule gets you what you deserve. Who here is fool > > > enough to
install the .0 version of anything from, say, Microsoft or > > > Adobe? And
who, having done that, got away with it with their > > > computing skin intact?
Robert Cringely was nice enough to quote me > > > in his column a couple months
ago: "At Microsoft, quality is job > > > SP1," but this is an aphorism you
could apply to a lot of companies, > > > not just the folks in Redmond. They
all feel the same pressures and > > > make the same mistakes.> > If I knew that
a company was actively > > taking a few extra months to > plan things and
deliver me a bug-free > > product, I'd be very impressed > and would consider
that heavily when > > shopping for something.> > > Yours truly,> > John Hedtke>
541-685-5000 (office landline)> 541-554-2189 (cell)> john at hedtke.com > >
(primary email)> johnhedtke at aol.com (secondary email) >>