FrameMaker 7.x cannot open FrameMaker 8 binary files. However,
FrameMaker 8 can save files in FrameMaker 7 binary or MIF format for
backwards compatibility.

 From a practical perspective, in mixed-version environments (e.g. FM7.x
and FM8), I've found that it's Really Easy to Forget to "Save As" FM7
from FM8.

You may see artifacts of FM8 features in the back-saved files
(specifically, conditions used to implement FM8 text edit tracking).
Also, I would tread carefully if you are heavily using Unicode support
(which I suspect you are not, since you are migrating forward from FM7.x).

-Alan

--
Alan Houser, President
Group Wellesley, Inc.