How do you import them into FrameMaker?  Do you link or what!

"Art Campbell" <art.campbell at gmail.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
03/11/2008 03:47 PM

"Linda G. Gallagher" <lindag at techcomplus.com>
cc
framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject
Re: PDFs as graphics and graphics out of SolidWorks

I just ended a year-long gig that included this, and the workflow we
developed was:
1. Get the free Solidworks viewer application. (There's a free
explorer tool that's also useful.)
2. From the Viewer, print the Solidworks file to an Acrobat printer
instance to create a PDF using the appropriate job options (high
quality print, press quality) .
3. When the PDF opens in Acrobat, optimize the file, but go easy on
the compression and downsampling. This is the key task to reduce the
file size & bloat. I don't think it would work as well on a PDF
produced directly from
4. Import into FM.

I don't have any idea if Acrobat 6 is up to the task. We used 7 pro,
and migrated to 8 pro and then 8 3D. So that would be the component
I'd upgrade.

Art

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 6:21 PM, Linda G. Gallagher
<lindag at techcomplus.com> wrote:
> Framers,
>
>  FM 7.0
>  Acrobat 6.0
>  Win XP
>
>  I appreciated all the help a couple of weeks ago on text insets and
>  scripting. Now I have new questions related to a new client that is
using
>  SolidWorks CAD to create graphics for me to use in FM.
>
>  So far I've tried importing graphics saved from SolidWorks as .tif at
50 dpi
>  (was the default) and 600 dpi. Neither looked good after I created a
PDF
>  from the FM file. I've asked him to save at 150 and 300 dpi, but don't
have
>  those yet.
>
>  My client also sent me a PDF of the graphic. When I imported that into
FM

http://lists.frameusers.com/mailman/options/framers/art.campbell%40gmail.com

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
 No disclaimers apply.