Venkatesh,

You wrote:

>I have a large amount of cross-references in my documents. I am using 2
>formatting instructions
>
>1. <Blue><Italic><$paratext><Default ? Font>
>2. <Blue><Italic>Appendix <$paranum[Chapter Num]>,
><Italic><$paratext><Default ? Font>
>
>This cross-ref formats are used predominantly through the document.
>
>The above formats are not applied in some cases and in most of the others it
>is applied properly. I do "update references" every time. I do not get
>consistent results.
>
>What could be the issue and how can i solve this ?

When the cross-reference format uses multiple character formats, the book's
Generate/Update function ignores the first one.
(This applies to FM5 through FM8).

Workaround: Create a single character format that has all the properties
you need, and modify the cross-reference format accordingly.

For example: Define a "Link" character format that sets both blue and
italic, and modify the cross-reference format to <Link><$paratext>....

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions