Hi Kanti

We've never used MIF fragments to create a new variable, only to change the
values of existing variables. To do that, you just open the MIF fragment in FM,
open your target book, select all the files in the book, and use File > Import
> Formats to import the variable definitions from the MIF fragment. Which is
what you said, so yes.

I should have made the note about not saving the MIF fragment in FM more
emphatic: make it read-only so that you CAN'T save it by accident. The problem
isn't that you kill your MIF fragment if you save it, the problem is that you
can't tell that you've killed it unless you notice that the file size has
suddenly gone up heaps. Otherwise you only find out that it's stuffed after
you've overwritten system variables that you wanted to leave untouched. Aargh!

I've posted this message to the list so other people can see that info too.

On unwanted conditionals, they seem to creep back in from *any* file that links
to the cleaned-up file. That seems to include books, text insets, generated
TOCs, backup files etc. Using native FM, you can't clear them out of book
files, so the only solutions are plug-ins, like Diane recommended in another
thread today (do any of those clear books files?), deleting the book file and
making a new one, or editing the book MIF file. I've never tried any of the
plug-ins. Making a new book is mostly easy. Getting rid of unwanted conditions
is a right pain - try the plug-ins.

Cheers, Rebecca

>>> <Kanti.Mann at schange.com> 16/01/08 05:31 >>>
Hello Rebecca:

I read your article in Framers about using MIF fragments.  Seems like a
brilliant idea!

What I was unclear about was how you would get the Variable definitions
back into a set of documents.

You note never to save the document in FM again: makes sense.

Are you saying that you'd open the MIF fragment in Frame, import variables
into other files, and then exit the Frag file without saving?

Do you do this with conditions, too?  I'd love a way to get rid of
unwanted Conditions (no longer used), since there's currently no
way that I know of to globally remove them.

Thanks much.

Kanti

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.