Framers,

I have now studied the material forwarded by Richard, and the PDF he imports
into his FrameMaker document is a perfectly well behaved PDF with correctly
defined spot colors and duotone images.

On Page 14 in "Adobe? FrameMaker? 7.2 User Guide Supplement for Windows? and
UNIX?" it's stated:

<snip>

Importing PDF and Illustrator files (UNIX)

You can import Adobe PDF files and Illustrator 9 and 10 files into a FrameMaker
document in release 7.1 or later.

When you import a PDF or Illustrator file into FrameMaker, the file is treated
as a graphic, and only one page can be imported at a time. You can import it
either by copy or by reference.

***Both process and spot colors can be displayed and printed***.

</snip>

This statement seem to be faulty. At least, on Windows spot colors contained in
imported PDF documents appear NOT to be retained when output from FrameMaker on
Windows, and will -- as far as I can see -- effectively output as defined in
their alternate color space, usually CMYK.

Hence, importing spot colored PDF documents is to no avail with FrameMaker on
Windows. I haven't tested on other platforms.

Grafikhuset Publi PDF can normally deal with this issue via custom color maps
and repair such spot colors. However, it can NOT repair duotone images, since
these are output as composite CMYK, which mean they cannot be repaired at all.

To create a custom color map in Grafikhuset Publi PDF you simply right-click
the Publi PDF icon in the system tray, select the Attended Queue you want to
use, and then turn on automatic creation of color maps in the Optimizer section
of the pop-up menu. This will prompt you with an interface that allow you to
create new spot colors -- next time you print to the queue.

When the dialog show up do as follows:

(1) Type the spot color name and enter the CMYK values (0-100) in the toolbar.

(2) Click the small button right of the K component field. This this will add
the spot color to the drop-down list that appear when you click any field in
the "convert to" column of the table.

(3) When a spot color is selected the Tint value can be entered in the
corresponding field in the %T column. Be careful NOT to check the OT field,
since this will apply Overprint, which you most often do NOT want.

Clicking the "Convert to" field for each listed Gray, RGB, CMYK or other spot
color allow you to remap colors exactly as your job require. When finished you
can save the color map for later use. You may actually attach it to the queue,
so you don't need to enter new information each time you print (If you attach
it to the queue you should switch off the automatic color map creation, since
its OFF state assure that the analysis phase is skipped and conversion is run
directly without prompting).

Hope this helps.

Best regards / Med venlig hilsen
Jacob Sch?ffer  |  Chief Developer