On Fri, 02 May 2008 13:45:07 -0700, Dennis Brunnenmeyer
<dennisb at chronometrics.com> wrote:

>As far as I know, the previous suggestion of simply saving the Word
>file as in HTML format is as simple and as *accurate* as you can get.
>I can't imagine why one would need a third-party utility or a screen
>shot application to do this, but then my imagination is limited to
>personal experiences. Try it.

LOL!  For many purposes, the save-as-HTML method may be adequate.
But it *is* more-or-less lossy, compared to the internal WMF Word
retains, depending on the original format of the image.

For vector images imported into Word, the loss is major, as the
vector elements (such as equations, for example) are converted
to bitmaps (GIF or JPEG) as part of the save-as-HTML process.
Text becomes fuzzy, thin lines break up, sharp edges lose some
definition.

For images that were originally bitmaps, the loss comes from the
resampling Word does when creating the output bitmaps at screen
resolution.  If the original was also at screen resolution, the
resampling errors may have only minor consequences (text harder
to read), but if it was at print resolution, the loss is worse
(from 300dpi down to 96dpi), resulting in ugly printed images.

All that can be avoided by extracting the internal WMF images
(which can include both bitmap and vector components) from
the Word RTF file directly.  That's what exwmf.exe does.  And
since it is fully functional in the demo version of Mif2Go, at:
  http://www.omsys.com/dcl/download.htm
it is *free*, with our blessings.  What's not to like?  ;-)