Ron,
No two API docs are exactly the same, but usually they're pretty simple. It
helps if you've done a little programming or scripting. Here are a couple sites
to get you going:http://api-writing.blogspot.com/
http://java.sun.com/j2se/javadoc/
http://qooxdoo.org/documentation/0.7/how_to_write_api_documentation

Hope this helps,