I'm sorry to report that after doing the procedure you listed below,
I still couldn't enter text without drawing a text box within the
margins. This is exactly why it isn't more than a page layout
program. It fails to provide me with a default page that can be used
to write upon without having to define the text frame.

It follows the paste-up page paradigm exactly. Which says to me that
this program is a paste-up program not a replacement for FrameMaker.
It is a killer when placed against Quark Xpress, which behaves in the
same manner. And even with all the plug-ins for Xpress, it isn't a
serious contender to replace FrameMaker. Neither is InDesign.

Scott