I'm running into a seemingly strange phenomenon with FM 9. I'm working with a
lot of legacy documents that have formatting issues, and part of my workflow
involves importing and replacing formats using a template formatted the way I
wish it to be -- typically, with the very useful CleanImport plug-in.

In FM 9, I'm finding that when I do this import, I now get the unexpected side
effect that the symbol used in the Autonumber Format area of the Paragraph
Designer changes. For example:

Original Format

Font

Unintentionally Modified Format

Font

?\t

Wingdings

?\t

Wingdings

?\t

Wingdings

?\t

Wingdings

I'm not sure how or why this changes. I have developed a workaround. I go to my
source document, do a Global Update, Numbering Properties, for each of the
paragraph formats in question, applying this to all paragraphs in the source
document that have the individual tags in question. I am not changing the
formats in any way, simply re-applying them. Then I re-import the paragraph and
character formats to all of the remaining files, and then the paragraphs with
these various "list bullets," for want of a better term, are all restored to
normalcy.

So it's not the end of the world, just an unwelcome extra step. Any ideas?

Jim