Once more, this time with content!

For your?technical manuals, what?is your preferred set of cross-reference
formats?

I'm setting up a template and am trying to figure out a way to avoid having to
create multiple x-refs to accommodate different punctuation. You know (x-ref is
inside the underscores):

---See __Appendix D,?"Frying Pans and Toasters,"__? for more information.
(X-ref includes comma inside quotation marks)

---For more information, see __Appendix D,?"Frying Pans and Toasters."__ (X-ref
includes period inside quotation marks)

---[Inspiration fails me, but I am sure there's a similar example that does not
use any punctuation within the quotation marks]

If I create only one x-ref format, using only one kind of punctuation, most
nimble tech writers will be able to construct nicely flowing sentences to
employ it. Right??

Or, I could decree that we never quote the titles of?referenced sections, and
omit any punctuation:

---For more information, see __Appendix D__.

But I think that's a lousy solution: I don't want to omit a descriptive title
just because it's a pain to set up the x-ref formats for it.

What is your solution?