Hi Tom,

The index references pages won't have any effect on table sorting. Table
sorting is done with a .dll and can't be controlled anywhere like a
reference page. Here is one workaround that I have done with a FrameScript
script:

1) Add a temporary column to the table.

2) Take the sort data and copy it to the temporary column.

3) Massage the sort data in the temporary column so that it will sort
correctly.

4) Sort the table based on the temporary column. For example, this may mean
replacing dashes with spaces.

5) Delete the temporary column from the table.

Of course FrameScript handles all 5 steps and it happens in the blink of an
eye. We have to figure out the correct sort logic for the script, but once
that is done, FrameScript makes it painless to sort tables according to your
specs.

If you are interested in a FrameScript solution like this, please send me a
sample document offlist and I will give you a quote. Thank you very much.

Rick

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
rick at frameexpert.com
585-659-8267

Hi Listers,

I've been experiencing problems in sorting a table alphabetically, with a
strong desire to have the sort ignore spaces.

FM 8.0
Windows XP with SP 2

I have a long 1-column table. Each cell has two paragraphs in it:

Gloss term
Glossary definition.

Some examples that I have found problematic include:

bar code
A system of symbols used to identify data through length, position, size,
or thickness of lines or symbols. Bar codes are normally read and printed
by a machine.
bar
An element of a controller window that groups several buttons. Examples:
function bar, status bar, subsystem bar.

[I prefer "bar" to precede "bar code".]

carriage lock
The latch that prevents the carriage arm from being pulled to the service
position.
carriage rail
The component of the carriage that has a carriage arm and umbilical
support. See also carriage arm, umbilical support.
carriage-return
A character in data that forces all following text to the next line.
carriage
The module of a printing system that holds a printhead in position over
the web, provides for printhead movement across the web, provides for
printhead adjustment of skew, height, and with-stream position, and allows
cross-stream printhead movement between print position and service
position. See also print tower.

[I prefer the order to be
carriage
carriage-return
carriage lock
carriage rail
]

I tried rearranging the index sorting instructions in the reference page,
without effect on the table sort. I also entered a space in the Ignore
characters line there.

<$symbols><$numerics><$alphabetics>
 --????[]()

Any ideas or experience from anybody welcome!

Tom Kohn

p.s. Perhaps as a side issue, perhaps not:
When I open the file fresh and sort the table, many many items are waaay
out of order.
If I sort again, the order is good, but still with the problems noted in
the body of my message.

Thomas G (Tom) Kohn | Technical Editor | GCG WW Versamark Engineering
Services |
Eastman Kodak Company | 3000 Research Blvd | Dayton, OH 45420-4003 |
tom.kohn at kodak.com | +01 937-259-3210 Office | +01 937-271-1484 Mobile |
+01 937-259-3784 Fax |
www.graphics.kodak.com