Hi, Linda. This is an interesting approach -- and I can easily see how we tech
writers may develop standards that are pickier than our clients would ever
require . . . just because we can, darn it!

My manual has chapter page numbers (3-1 to 3-25, then 4-1 to 4-13, etc.). The
table and figure numbers follow this pattern (Figure 3.2, Table 4.6, etc.)

In this case, would you number table and figures straight through? Would you
keep the chapter-# numbering scheme?

I have to admit . . the illogic of keeping the #s is making my perfectionist
tendencies unhappy, but then again, your (and my) clients aren't paying us to
satisfy our personal perfectionism, are they!

Thanks.

--Nancy