hi Corinne,
do you happen to have alternate keyboard layouts configured on your system,
other than the basic English (United States)? I have a few and I found that the
one I use most often ? a customized version of the French (Canada) layout that
includes Unicode characters (i.e. Esperanto's accented letters) ? interferes
with the keyboard shortcuts *in FrameMaker only*. Soon after installing this
keyboard layout, I realized I could not use Ctrl+Shift+V in FrameMaker anymore
(nothing happens). At first I thought I would have to uninstall this custom
layout and do without it, but then it dawned on me that I might as well just
switch to English (Canada) by pressing Left Alt + Shift, the first time I need
the shortcuts in FM.
(I just cannot use FrameMaker to write in Esperanto.)

all this to say... could it be that your Ctrl keys stop working as soon as,
somehow, you pressed Left Alt + Shift (unknowingly)? Maybe check your Regional
Options control panel, the text services configured on your system, and the
language bar preferences... See if just pressing Left Alt + Shift once or twice
could revive your Ctrl keys...

it could also be something else... For instance, when I was using Remote
Desktop Connection to acces a computer at work from my home computer, I would
always end up losing both the Ctrl keys and the Shift keys at some point.
Sometimes, just repeatedly going Left Ctrl, Right Ctrl a few times, and then
Left Shift, Right Shift a few more times would revive the lost keys.
(Appartently this was a known issue with Remote Desktop, at least at the time.)

FWIW
Suzanne