I'm kind of playing around with WIKIs at the moment.  I'm most interested in
DokuWiki because it's a file-based system rather than using MySql.  DokuWiki
has plugins for export to different formats (OpenOffice, LaTex, and XHTML, for
example).  I'm not aware of import plugins yet.

I think the obvious problems are with graphics (must be converted to a
light-weight bitmap) and xrefs.  Right now I'm manually converting Word files
into the Wiki, just to see what issues arise.  I suppose a Maker plug-in could
be made that creates a DokuWiki tree out of a book, breaking the files into
topics.  I may start to think about that -- is there a bonafide interest?
(Shoot, this could result in DokuWiki as an intermediate format for Maker ->
Word conversions!)  I guess the reverse would not be too hard to implement...
DokuWiki -> Maker, especially since DokuWiki seems to have a plug-in that is
sort of like making a book in DITA.

A conversion from Word to DokuWiki seems more difficult to me, because I don't
believe VBA exposes a Word document as well as the FDK exposes Maker docs.  For
example, how do you find bold text within a pgf?  The FDK splits text into
chunks along such boundaries, but I'm not aware of anything similar in Word
VBA.  So I guess you would have to do transforms on RTF.  I'm not there, yet...
 Anybody have any suggestions?

cud