Well .. I'm thinking this is probably not worth the effort. I though it
might be nice to have a single install of FM that could be used by
multiple OSes .. because I'd like to be able to easily test plugins
under each OS.

I figured I'd start with something "easy" .. FM7.2 .. that's bound to
work, no? No. XP let me install on the mounted shared drive, but Vista
won't .. it tells me that the drive doesn't exist (even though I can
access it through the Explorer). This may be user error and there may be
some way around it (I'm not very experienced with Vista), but I have a
feeling that this would be a losing battle, and probably isn't worth the
trouble.

I think that Jay's suggestion to just use a trial version or
deauthorize/reauthorize as needed is probably the best option.

Thanks for helping me to explore the options!

Cheers,

...scott