Version: FM9 (9.0p237)
OS: XP Pro with SP3

Caveat: I've only been using FM for about 6 or 7 months and I am a
documentation department of 1.

We've just released our first User Manuals (UMs) in FrameMaker.

Before applying any conditions, I had an up front discussion with my boss and
his boss about deciding on conditions BEFORE implementation as it is a lot more
work to monkey around with them later. We decided that we would combine four
UMs in one. Creating conditions for these options was not difficult and
management was extremely happy they got four manuals in the time it would
normally take to write 1-1/2 in MS Word.

Now however, the powers that be have decided that "we" also want to create
Quick Guides (QG) from the same content. The 4 UMs run between 356 and 424
pages with at least 75% of the content shared between all 4. The thinking is
that the QGs would be about 50 pages each - a decision reached arbitrarily
rather than based on what should be included!

I can create new books using the some of same files (the 7 Appendices would
likely not have any QG content which eliminates 73-93 pages of content), but I
really don't want to have to conditionalize every bit of content in every
chapter in order to include only QG material in the QGs. With 75% content reuse
between UMs that's a lot of text to deal with and a maintenance headache.

Is my logic screwy or am I looking at this problem correctly?

Is there a way to spit out a conditional manual that ignores all
unconditionalized text and only gives you the text you conditionalize?

If anyone has any suggestions on the approach I should take, I would be very
grateful.

Alison

Alison Craig, Technical Writer
Ultrasonix Medical Corporation