On 10/13/2010, Art Campbell wrote:
> Webworks standard is an early version of ePublisher. The Standard and
> Pro essentially mean that one cannot modify templates; the professional
> version can.
>
> In any case, whatever tool you use is likely to achieve the look and
> feel of your help file by manipulating CSS style sheets, not by
> proprietary coding, so I think you have several choices for help tools.

Excellent point Art!  However, if folks are looking to deliver to
non-HTML targets, ePublisher can handle that as well given its ability
to deeply restructure your content.  RTF, PDF XSL-FO, and Wiki targets
are good examples of this.

> If you've done massive amounts of tweaking to the ePublisher templates,
> that may be your easiest way to go. Along with that, I can't believe
> that their customer support department can't give you a new code....
> There must be documentation on the purchase somewhere -- a PO or credit
> card info.

I believe Pam's issue is that WebWorks no longer makes EOLed product
builds available for download.  I'm not sure license keys are the problem.

> However, if you're starting from scratch, I'd go with either MIF2Go from
> omsys.com <http://omsys.com/> or RoboHelp, as in the Technical
> Communication Suite. Both are strong and well-integrated. I prefer
> MIF2Go for most projects because it's simpler for me to use (I'm a
> config file kind of guy) and bulltproof once it's set up. And their
> customer support is exemplary. But RoboHelp comes with fancier, spiffier
> templates and it's designed to integrate well with Frame at the menu level.
>
> I know MIF2Ggo and Robohelp have free eval versions available. I think
> it's waning in popularity recently, but a number of people are big fans
> of Flare, so that's a possible third avenue to go down, although that's
> more of an authoring package rather than a conversion tool to pull
> content from Frame.

All excellent tools.  I will point out that we've been working really
hard to make ePublisher a great tool for single-sourcing both your
content and your design.  I'd just ask that you compare our latest,
greatest ePublisher 2010.2 against current MIF2Go, RoboHelp, and Flare
packages.

Ben Allums
allums at webworks.com