Rebecca,
Check the Cross-Reference for that you are applying.

I am not using FM9, still on F7.2, but I wouldn't expect Adobe to change the
xref format rules:

Look at the following and see if it doesn't answer your problem:

Cross Reference format:
<LI-Link>see \<$paratext>\ on page\ <$pagenum>

results in:
see Document Conventions and Symbols on page 16

Cross Reference format:
<LI-Link>see \`<$paratext>\' on page\ <$pagenum>

results in:
see "Document Conventions and Symbols" on page 16

Note the \' in the second example. This inserts the double-quotes around the
contents of <$paratext>. The last backslash-space inserts a hard space
(Ctrl+Space).

HTH

--- On Wed, 9/22/10, Rebecca.L.Frasure at aphis.usda.gov <Rebecca.L.Frasure at