From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
[mailto:framers-boun...@lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of Graham, Jasmine S
Sent: Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:50 PM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: Need Advice on Upgrade Strategies for FM and Acrobat

Hello Fellow Framers,

I need your advice on how to best recommend a strategy for new Frame and
Acrobat software purchases/licensing/upgrades/maintenance contracts, etc. I
apologize for the lengthy email with many questions, but I'm sure I'm still
overlooking some important points.

SOME HISTORY
I currently have the TCS1 package FM 8 (structured), Acrobat 9, Robohelp,
Captivate, on Windows XP SP3. For 2+ years, I've been the only FM user here
(everyone else uses Word). Frame's strong points are helping me to develop and
maintain large amounts of new technical documentation. So, I've won some
support for it, which I am really thrilled about.

THE OPPORTUNITY
Now there is an interest in purchasing FM for possibly 3-4 SMEs who will be
drafting documentation for my project. These folks perform engineering and
testing functions (writing is not their primary task), but their manager sees
value/potential in using Frame vs. Word and wants to gain momentum with it.

THOUGHTS / QUESTIONS

-- We should all use the latest Frame (10). Should I upgrade Frame only on my
PC, or should I really consider the full TCS3 upgrade?  I already have
Photoshop. The other folks don't need Robohelp/Captivate, so TCS3 is overkill
for them.

-- All of us need a compatible Acrobat (I have no idea what to expect if we
install Frame 10 on one of these laptops with an older version of Acrobat).
Should I recommend the latest Acrobat for everyone just to be safe?

-- Are there some reliable, yet also fairly reasonable
licensing/upgrade/maintenance strategies to keep us all in sync?

-- What's beneficial to do now in case we should add Frame users again down the
road?

-- What gotchas, headaches, and other things must I think about before I jump
into the deep end??

Since day one, I've not had any problems with my TCS1 setup, so I'm quite
nervous about introducing new software versions without introducing unwanted
special effects. :-)

I also know that there will be a learning curve and I'll have to train the
others, create cheat sheets, and so forth. And, I must get familiar with the
new interface, too. I'm confident I can manage these things. Also, I've made
every effort to keep the template streamlined and simple, so hopefully, that
will help, too.

THANKS IN ADVANCE for all words of wisdom and experience in this area!! :)

Jasmine Graham
Technical Writer, Research and Development
Wireline Services
Weatherford ? 481 Winscott Road ? Fort Worth ? TX ? 76126
Main: +1.817.249.7200 ? Direct: +1.817.249.7032 ? Fax: +1.817.249.7885 ?
Mobile: +1.817.235.3620
jasmine.graham at weatherford.com ? www.weatherford.com
This message may contain confidential and privileged information. If it has
been sent to you in error, please reply to advise the sender of the error and
then immediately delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, do not read,
copy, disclose or otherwise use this message. The sender disclaims any
liability for such unauthorized use. PLEASE NOTE that all incoming e-mails sent
to Weatherford e-mail accounts will be archived and may be scanned by us and/or
by external service providers to detect and prevent threats to our systems,
investigate illegal or inappropriate behavior, and/or eliminate unsolicited
promotional e-mails (spam). This process could result in deletion of a
legitimate e-mail before it is read by its intended recipient at our
organization. Moreover, based on the scanning results, the full text of e-mails
and attachments may be made available to Weatherford security and other
personnel for review and appropriate action. If you have any concerns about
this process, please contact us at dataprivacy at weatherford.com.
===============================
CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED COMMUNICATION

The information contained in this message is privileged, confidential, and
protected from disclosure.
This message is intended for the individual or entity addressed herein.
If you are not the intended recipient, please do not read, copy, use or
disclose this communication to others.
Also please notify the sender by replying to this message, and then delete it
from your system.
The sender totally disclaims, and will not accept, any responsibility or
liability for the unauthorized use,
or the consequences of any unauthorized use, of this communication or message.