You'll probably get a tonne of advice, so I'll keep mine brief.

I found this book really useful when I was getting started: Introduction to
DITA: A User Guide to the Darwin Information Typing Architecture
(http://www.comtech-serv.com/dita2.shtml#book).

FrameMaker 9 handles DITA better than FrameMaker 8 (I think I saw you ask a
question before about FM 8). I don't know if FM 10 has any advantages over FM 9
for DITA authoring.

Finally, consider what your output needs are and what tool best suits your
needs and budget. I've been using WebWorks ePublisher to create CHM help, Web
help, and now PDFs from DITA. It handles DITA nicely. There are other tools,
too, like Dita2Go and DITA Open Toolkit, but I don't know a lot about them.

Nadine

--- On Wed, 1/26/11, VLM TechSubs <TechSubs at VibrantLivingMinistries.org>