Stuart Rogers wrote:

> AFAIK, the %%[Page: xx]%% message is produced after successful
> distillation of that page, so I would say your problem lies on page 55.
> Try printing pages 1-54 and 56-end to test that theory.  Then zero in
> on
> the offending page.  <snip>

My problem is resolved, but not solved. I'm more confused than ever, but ready
to move on.

I tried PDFing just Ch. 4, the chapter file containing pp. 54-56. It worked
fine. I tried the book again. FM locked up and Distiller crapped out at p. 54
again (per the log). But this time I was watching more closely.

The FM progress dialog seemed to indicate that FM was processing Ch. 3, the
file _before_ the one containing pp. 54-56, when it locked up. And sure enough,
when I tried PDFing just Ch. 3, FM crashed again.

So I MIF-washed Ch. 3, and now my problem is gone. That chapter and the book
PDFed without error.

The "not solved" is my inability to comprehend how it's possible for Distiller
to get half-way through Ch. 4 when FM seemed to crash while processing Ch. 3.

Oh, well -- like I said, ready to move on. Thanks to everyone who offered
suggestions.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.