From: samantha_li...@mentor.com
To: eshishid at brocade.com; framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: FrameMaker and ClearCase
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 15:48:52 +0000

Hi Emelita-

We looked at it, but FM files are binaries.  The repository gets huge very
quickly. Also, even if you store MIF instead, you still can?t get any of the
usual ClearCase benefits of merging or doc comparison, because MIFs (at least
in older versions; this was FM6) do not preserve where the line ends and the
internal marker IDs change every time you update.  It took up a lot of memory
and there really wasn?t much we could do with it other than get out archived
copies (and that wasn?t very easy).  Incidentally, this problem applies with
every source control system we?ve looked at; it isn?t just ClearCase.

The one advantage would be if your employer is using the entire Rational system
and wants to tie specific versions to completed requirements in another part of
the suite. Still a lot of memory consumption, though.

On this vein, back in the 90s there was a product called  Canterbury from
Chrystal Software designed to do source control and versioning specifically for
FrameMaker.  Anyone know what became of it?

-Sam.