How do you make your changes "stick" with all the other character styles
you've changed? Try changing another one and see if the same thing happens.

What I've always done is, in the Character Designer, click Update All, then
in the Global Update Options dialog box, click All Tagged, then Update.
Import the format into the other files in your book.