From: "Combs, Richard" <richard.co...@polycom.com>
To: Roman Banks <banks_roman at yahoo.com>; "framers at lists.frameusers.com"
<framers at lists.frameusers.com>
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2012 6:39 PM
Subject: RE: progressindication.swf in the FM10 installation directory

Roman Banks wrote:

> Sometimes, when Framemaker performs a lengthy and time-consuming
> operation, I get the "Framemaker (Not Responding)" message, even if it
> does not get stuck completely. I think, using a progress bar instead of
> this stupid and misleading?message would be more appropriate. When
> seeing this message, an inexperienced user may just try to exit
> Framemaker instead of waiting a bit longer.

I'm guessing that you're running Windows 7 and that "Framemaker (Not
Responding)" appears in the title bar of the FM window. That's not a message
from FM, it's from the OS.

IMO, Win 7 is far too quick to pull the trigger on the "Not Responding" message
when an application takes more than a (very) few seconds to respond to input.
I've seen that message for several other apps, including Outlook, Word, and
Acrobat.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.