I've spent much of the past year trying to figure out a similar
transition. Short answer, the tools aren't mature enough for a $20K
budget. Long answer:

Confluence 4.x and MindTouch Core are the two wikis I've found that
seem workable.

Migrating large amounts of existing FrameMaker content to either is
problematic. Here's my most recent status report on my lack of success
in bulk migration from FrameMaker to Confluence (my status with
MindTouch is almost exactly the same):
https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+4+further+discussion?focusedCommentId=294486511#comment-294486511

Version control is the other huge sticking point. Except for a few
unusable prototypes, I have found no wiki with document-level version
control a la branching in Subversion or Perforce. The Confluence docs
team just makes a static copy of the current release for the next
release. I'd really prefer to have a dynamic system where unchanged
pages were shared across multiple versions of a document and branched
as necessary.

"status tagging (e.g.> draft/final)": can be easily accomplished with
native features

read-only access: native feature, but note license terms (MindTouch
allows unlicensed read-only "community" users to post comments and
rate pages, Confluence does not)

delivery as PDF: Confluence, if the native feature doesn't cut it you
can use K15t Scroll (which also sells an ePub utility); MindTouch Core
(which is itself free) uses Prince, which is excellent but not cheap.

AutoDesk has a hybrid system that does more or less everything you're
talking about and more, but they spent a lot of money on it. The DITA
XML source is stored in SDL Trisoft, which handles versioning and
topic reuse. The tech writers author in XMetal. They use various tools
to generate standard online help formats and PDFs. Those portions of
the system were in place before they added the wiki.

MindTouch built them a connector that populates the MindTouch TCS wiki
from Trisoft. They also have a connector that can pull
user-contributed content back into Trisoft from MindTouch, though that
requires some cleanup. The wiki can generate PDFs on the fly.

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com