Hello again Kirsty,

I have found that both the Paragraph and Character Designer in Frame may be a
little over-eager in (re)defining formats and I have found many similar
problems in the past. In the end, the best method I can think of to make sure
that the format only contains what it needs to and leaves the rest of the
settings as they are is saving at least one of the files with all your formats
as a MIF. Then use a text editor to find the <PgfTag> or <FTag> that you want
to investigate. Inside the <PgfTag> or <FTag> you will find all the settings
that are applied. Delete all the tags for properties you want to keep as they
are. Save the MIF. Open the MIF in FrameMaker and it will be your template for
the correct formats, which can be imported into other documents (provided you
use the 'Remove Overrides' option).

Let us know if that worked.

Good luck

Jang