At 11:14 -0400 21/6/12, Fred Ridder wrote:

>If you create one instance of the correct cross-reference, you can copy that
>to the clipboard, and then do a Find/Change that uses the "By Pasting" option
>in the Change box. You'll still have to look at each cross-reference you find
>to see if it is one you need to change, but at least you can paste in the
>correct x-ref rather than having to reconstruct it manually.

Fred is correct: FrameMaker's 'replace by pasting' is a wonderfully useful
feature.

As a wild guess, you could probably also do a global search/replace by saving
the file to MIF, opening it in a text editor, identifying the MIF code that
specifies the incorrect xref, and replacing it with the correct one. I've not
tried this though.

Xrefs in MIF look like this:

To a para with a Heading 1 tag in same file...

   <XRef
    <XRefName `Heading & Page'>
    <XRefSrcText `53801: Heading1: Heading 1'>
    <XRefSrcIsElem No>
    <XRefSrcFile `'>
    <XRefLastUpdate  1340295100 0>
    <Unique 999233>
   > # end of XRef

To another file...

   <XRef
    <XRefName `Heading & Page'>
    <XRefSrcText `53801: Heading1: Heading 1'>
    <XRefSrcIsElem No>
    <XRefSrcFile `<c\>Xref test.fm'>
    <XRefLastUpdate  1340295244 0>
    <Unique 999231>
   > # end of XRef

where the target of the xref is in a file called 'Xref test.fm'. Note that this
field is present, but blank, in the first example.

--
Steve