Here's what I've come up with.

I save the Powerpoint file as a PDF, then use Able2Doc to convert the PDF to
Word. (I've found I get a very clean conversion after using Able2Doc.)

I imported the resulting Word file into FrameMaker. Text and graphics are
imported cleanly.

There's still a lot of manual cleanup but I think it's better than
Cut-and-Paste.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Pat