At 05:55 -0700 5/4/13, Writer wrote:

>I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but WebWorks ePublisher has Book ePub
>2.0 output (you can see a sample of the output here:
>http://www.webworks.com/Tour/Output_Formats/) and PDF output. You can generate
>both outputs at the same time.

Nadine, thanks. What I think I initially meant (and should have said) was
Kindle, but ePub might be an option. I don't know enough about these formats
yet to say anything very sensible about them: will read up. But I see that
'Kindle' is not of itself a format, but a platform that can support eBooks in a
variety of formats, the 'native' one being AZW (and now KF8). But *not* ePub,
although Amazon offer a conversion utility from ePub to Kindle.

If anyone is following this thread with bated breath, here's a clutch of
vaguely helpful links:

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats>

<https://kdp.amazon.com/self-publishing/help?topicId=A17W8UM0MMSQX6>*

<http://techtips.salon.com/kindle-reader-file-types-26191.html>

<http://e-readers.techcrunch.com/q/53/5238/What-file-formats-are-compatible-with-the-Amazon-Kindle-3rd-gen-e-reader>

<http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?docId=1000234621> (Kindle converters)

<http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Formatting-Complete-Amazon-ebook/dp/B0024FAPF4>

Somewhat humorous that a book about how to make a Kindle book is itself
available in a Kindle edition, sort of.

If, as appears above, the Kindle 2G supports PDF, I'm thinking maybe I don't
need to worry about conversion anyway. But the platform also appears to be a
bit of a moving target.

(* Whoever wrote 'Word is a great tool to use because it's extremely easy to
format' is living on a different planet to mine)

--
Steve