documentation can be improved.

__________________________________
Maxwell Hoffmann |? Product? Evangelist? |? Adobe? |? p. 503.336.5952? |? c.
503.805.3719? |? mhoffman at adobe.com
http://twitter.com/maxwellhoffmann -?
http://www.linkedin.com/in/maxwellhoffmann? blogs.adobe.com/techcomm
Upcoming webinars http://adobe.ly/Pbz6xI    Recorded webinars:
http://adobe.ly/Pbdp0J

-----Original Message-----
From: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com [mailto:framers-bounces at
lists.frameusers.com] On Behalf Of r...@weststreetconsulting.com
Sent: Wednesday, April 10, 2013 10:34 AM
To: framers at lists.frameusers.com
Subject: RE: FDK documentation links (Subj was "April 11th Webinar: FrameMaker
11...."

Hi Maxwell,

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I do have these documents and
unfortunately the content is insufficient. However... before I whined one last
time, I did some more experimentation and I think I finally figured it out. If
it is of any interest to your technical publications team, I've put a summary
of the problem and my recommendations below.
Again, thanks for your time.

Russ

RE: Adding a custom dialog box to a workspace

It took me a long time to figure this out because I think that the FDK
documentation is missing some details. Here is what it says now:

"Because FrameMaker provides support for workspaces, the client's modeless
dialogs can become a part of a workspace. To make this work, the client has to
handle the notification FA_Note_Dialog_Create, which is sent to the client when
the workspace has to launch the modeless dialog for a particular client."

I guess the answer is in there, but there was not enough clarification for me
to figure it out initially. I finally figured out that when you save a
workspace with the dialog open, the notification then happens automatically
once you select or reset that workspace in the future.
Also, there is the fact that "sparm" is set to the name of the dialog, which
you need to test in order to know how to respond. So, I would recommend adding
some verbiage similar to the following:

When a workspace is saved with a custom modeless dialog open, the name and
positioning of that dialog are stored with the workspace. Then, when the user
selects or resets the workspace, FrameMaker sends the FA_Note_Dialog_Create to
the respective client with sparm set to the name of the dialog box. It is then
the responsibility of the client to handle this notification and execute the
required code to open the dialog box again. Once the dialog box is open and the
client code exits, the workspace configuration routine will continue and
automatically position the dialog box as stored in the workspace.

Note the following:

- FA_Note_Dialog_Create is only sent when the workspace includes a custom
dialog that was open when the workspace was saved. If multiple custom dialogs
were open, individual notifications are sent for each.

- The client notification code must reopen the dialog itself
(F_ApiOpenResource(), etc.), then the workspace will position it.

- Like all notifications, FA_Note_Dialog_Create must be enabled with
F_ApiNotification().

Message: 17