Hello David,

lately I have a similar problem: double-clicking
takes verrrry long to start the application and to open the file,
whereas the normal Open dialog from within the application works as
usual.

This is not always the case, but if, then it happens with any
application, also MS Word, Excel and so on.
Here it helped to uncheck
the DDE option for those file-types (which is not possible for
Frame-files), but today I saw that the option is checked again
mysteriously.

So my guess about this would be that its rather a
problem with the OS or with the network, not necessarily with
FrameMaker.
FM seems to expect a quick answer from the OS and handles
the delay as file error (my interpretation, only a guess).

I am using
Windows XP here, by the way.
If someone has an explanation to this
problem, I would also be very glad.

Best regards

Tino H. Haida,
Berlin

Am 2013-02-25 16:33, schrieb David Artman:

> Hi, all;

Latest, out-of-the-blue functional bug on FM8.0p277, Win 7:

> 1)
Navigate to working folder for project [just like every day].
> 2)
Double-click BOOK file.
> FrameMaker opens, them immediately displays
the following message:
> "Cannot find the file named __. Make sure that
the file exists.
> 3) Click OK on that message.
> 4) On the FrameMaker
menu, click File > 1 [file_name].
> FrameMaker immediately displays the
same error message as in step 2,
> then FrameMaker displays the Open
dialog, at the project folder root
> (i.e., last folder to which I
wrote files).
> 5) Double-click the BOOK file in the Open dialog.
> The
BOOK file opens in FrameMaker.

> Same behavior if I try to do the
above with a standalone FM file.

> I have, over the course of days,
installed software that does various
> things to interface with the
hardware that I am documenting, so it's
> possible something went
pear-shaped with Windows. I'm *inclined* to
> blame FM because (a)
Windows knows the BOOK should open Frame, and sends
> it to Frame, and
only THEN does Frame claim not to find it; and (b) it's
> FrameMaker 8.
By Adobe. So, yeah....

> Any ideas what I could do to repair
whatever's gone wrong? I'm comfy