> The purpose of business is to make money.  The purpose of business is _not_
> to produce a valuable good or to deliver a worthwhile service.  The purpose
> of business is to _make_money_.

I'd go beyond the above a little bit more. :) In my blog on this topic (at this
link: http://www.aeris.com/thinking-about-deploying-an-m2m-application/), I
talked about why somebody would deploy an M2M application (which is what my
company does). It is never a technical decision ... it is a business decision.

So, I'd rather say: "The purpose of a business is to make a _profit_."

And to keep on doing better ... when revenue rises, costs should rise slower.
If the revenue drops, the costs should drop faster. Both ways lead to better
profitability, although a drop in revenue is often seen as a negative!

And there are direct, _and_ indirect, thing that affect the increase in revenue
or drop in costs, or both.