I hesitate to wade into the fray, but in defense of the FrameMaker engineers, I
have to say that they have incorporated a lot of user requests into recent
versions. I (gasp!) really like FM11 (I use unstructured), and the improvements
and new features in RH 10 are wonderful too. The FM marker and cross-reference
pods (or panels or whatever they're called), which are new-ish features, are
great and work well. Other "little" features like drag-and-drop text and
on-the-fly spelling check and have increased my productivity. I would not want
to return to FM8, no way.
Now the subscription-only idea, I can't stand that, and hope it does not come
to the TCS. Like another poster, I use lots of other Adobe production software
like Premiere Pro, Encore, etc. and I will NOT pay monthly fees for their use.
I have CS6 and I won't be upgrading. If monthly fees for the latest stuff work
for some people or corporations, fine - but give us the choice if it is not how
we want to do business.
Alexandra