I have a template with a series of built in variables that have generic content
until used in a specific document.

Double-clicking on a variable brings up the variables pod where I then have to
click Edit to bring up the window wherein I can actually change the content of
the variable.

Does anybody know a way to do this in one step? (My current process is clearly
a more complicated way to have to change variable content than the old
interface provided.)

If a one-step edit is not possible, can Adobe please add a modifier key that
can be pressed when doubled clicking on a variable so that the Edit window is
immediately available?

Apologies if I'm doing things the hard way and an obvious solution is
available. Please clue me in if that is the case.

Thanks, framers!

Craig