Oh, I don't know what I was thinking. I've got a mif file open in Notepad++, no
problem. Will write more in a bit.
Elchanan

-----Original Message-----
From: VLM TechSubs [mailto:techs...@vibrantlivingministries.org]
Sent: Wednesday, October 02, 2013 6:43 PM
To: 'Frank Stearns'
Cc: 'Framers'
Subject: RE: FM 8: Index marker syntax

Thanks Frank, Robert, Jeremy, et. al. I so appreciate your help!

More info:

1. I now see that even a simple marker entry "<Emphasis>Eisphora" has this
problem. It appears in the "correct" location
alphabetically, it just looks like

    . . . . . . 1

2. The original files were created in Word, but with no indexing. I put in 100%
of these markers by hand, by myself, this week, in
FrameMaker 8. In other words, they "shouldn't" be affected by Word or the like.
FYI, the ToC works just fine.

3. I just did the following:

3.1 Shut Frame.
3.2 Relaunched Frame.
3.3 Opened book file.
3.4 Opened all files in book. Got some font and xref error messages, clicked
through those.
3.5 Highlighted, then saved, all files in book.
3.6 Generated ToC and index.
3.7 Saved all files in book.
3.8 Opened index.
3.9 Found one of the offending entries, jumped to its source. It was a compound
marker (2 entries in one marker).
3.10 I copied one of the entries for reference, clicked in the document a few
words away, and manually typed in the text for the
marker "America:Income tax of 1894", just like that.
3.11 Went to book file, all files selected, save all files in book, then
generate.
3.12 Entry appears in the correct location, without any text only page #, and
when I jump from that page number it takes me to the
new marker I just created.
3.13 So I jump there, notice that the original marker is still in place, delete
it, returned to 3.7 or so, repeated the whole
process, same result.
3.14 Saved the index as mif, closed it, deleted the .fm version, reopened from
mif, saved as FM 8, went to book, save all files in
book, generate, save all files in book, jump to index, and voila! Same result
as before.

Sigh ...

BTW, between steps, I recall breathing. :)

Frank, I am most willing and eager to try your step #4, but I've forgotten how
to open the mif as text in Frame, after saving it.
???

Thanks,
Elchanan